My mom used to make King Ranch Chicken, but I haven’t had it in years. Earlier this week I had a huge craving for it and wanted to make it immediately. I love how bold and spicy the flavor is. The tortillas soak up the sauce and become almost noodle-like, which makes the casserole have a similar texture as lasagna, but more saucy. I used a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from the grocery store as a major time saver. If you’re looking for a family pleaser, this recipe is it!
Did you know that broiler chickens have been raised in Arkansas since 1916?
- 1 cooked 2 1/2 pound fryer, shredded
- 10 flour tortillas
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, seeds and stem removed, diced
- 3 cups of grated cheddar cheese
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can of cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1 can of Ro*Tel tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of chile powder
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine soups, broth, Ro*Tel tomatoes and chile powder; blend until smooth.
3. Place a layer of chicken in a greased casserole dish. Add layers of tortillas, onion, bell peppers, cheese and sauce. Repeat layers, then top with cheese.
4. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until brown and bubbling.