Caprese Skewered SaladMay 22, 12
I love Caprese salad. It’s a simple salad made of fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, basil and olive oil. I like this salad, because it’s filling and flavorful but still light enough for those hot summer days. Making Caprese salad on skewers makes it portable and perfect for summer parties. I’m a big believer in using balsamic vinegar on salads, and it really turns this Caprese skewer into something special. Give it a try at your next summer party or barbecue.
Did you know that, according to the USDA, four out of five people prefer tomatoes to any other homegrown food?
- 30 grape or cherry tomatoes
- 30 fresh basil leaves
- 4 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, cut into 30 (1/2-inch) cubes
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Thread tomatoes, basil leaves and mozzarella cheese cubes alternately onto ten (6-inch) skewers. Place skewers on a serving platter.
- Combine vinegar and oil in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk. Drizzle vinegar mixture evenly over skewered ingredients, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, or cover and chill until ready to serve.
Serve immediately, or refrigerate until ready to serve.